SPAIN’S foreign minister has ignited fresh Brexit tensions by saying Madrid will not stand in the way of an independent Scotland joining the EU.
Josep Borrell’s inflammatory remarks attracted widespread criticism among British Conservatives, who called his comments hypocritical.
The foreign minister said: “I am very [more] worried about the unity of the United Kingdom than the unity of the Kingdom of Spain.
“I think the United Kingdom will split apart before the Kingdom of Spain.”
Borrell stands accused of hypocrisy because his views of Scottish Nationalism are seen by many as conflicting with Madrid’s tough stance on Catalan independence.
Former Brexit minister David Jones labelled Borrell’s comments ‘appalling hypocrisy’, while the Scottish Conservatives said the foreign minister was ‘quite simply wrong’.
First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon, came out in support of the Spanish, saying that his remarks demolished a ‘Unionist scare story’.
It comes as Spain has doubled down on its promise to vote down a Brexit deal over Gibraltar, despite earlier having promised not to veto any deal on the Rock’s future.
Yesterday Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said: “As of today, if there are no changes with respect to Gibraltar, Spain will vote no to the agreement on Brexit.”
His foreign minister Josep Borrell had earlier said: “We want to make sure the interpretation of this text is clear and shows that what’s being negotiated between the EU and the UK does not apply to Gibraltar”
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50
- Neighbours of British expat accused of murdering wife in Spain say he bugged phones and was obsessed with security - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 20:53
- Village in Spain ‘bewildered’ as Robin Hood mystery figure slides cash envelopes of up to €100 under doors - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 19:21
- Spain and rest of EU airspace closed to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft after plane crash in Ethiopia kills all 157 passengers - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 20:20
- ‘WE’RE HERE’: British expats on Costa del Sol re-launch Alzheimer’s and Dementia support charity shop - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 18:24
- Malaga judge rejects report from uncle’s lawyers claiming little Julen who died in well was killed by rescue worker’s pickaxe - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 13:39