SPAIN’S leading animal rights group has berated the ‘dark world’ of private hunts, where children as young as 10 have their faces smeared with blood.
PACMA’s issue is with the practice of painting children’s faces with the blood of their first kill.
Many of Spain’s autonomous communities take part in the tradition of hunting small mammals, and while some regions prohibit such activity, most are legal.
The group’s president, Silvia Barquero said: “It seems terrible to educate children in violence and introduce them from a young age into this dark world.
“I would never teach my children to act with violence and to kill animals, because it is completely contrary to educational values and moral progress.”
It comes as a 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot dead on a hunt in Valladolid in October and this month dogs were videoed falling off a cliff while on a hunt.
Barquero is particularly shocked by the social media groups – such as Facebook’s Rehalas Finca Soriana – that share pictures of the bloody traditions involving children.
“What kind of society are we building when we allow children to participate in animal abuse?” he said.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26