IT’S the last place on earth you’d expect to find comfort and luxury. But if you’re looking for some upmarket R&R, get thee to a nunnery.
Or rather, two nunneries. Spanish designer Francesc Rife has transformed the 17th-century San Jose and Santa Teresa convents in Valencia into a food market and cinema and plans to add a hotel.
Rechristened Convent Carmen, the palm-strewn grounds have been fitted with shady pergolas and three shipping containers which house funky al fresco ‘food truck’ style restaurants – serving everything from regional classics like esgarraet and espetos to ramen and pad Thai.
The main buildings, which have been reconstructed in a minimalist style to accentuate the structure’s domed ceilings, will host film screenings and public talks.
“We sought to create very little noise through the design of a specifically minimalist structure,” said Rifé.
“Through light, we have worked to highlight the main elements of the church… The RGB colour light system allows you to experience space in a much more mystical and special way.”
A 50-room hotel is slated to open at the complex in 2020.
- The Axarquia and Costa Tropical have a great selection of places to stay - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- It’s really all about the location, at the stunning award-winning holiday property complex overlooking lake Vinuela - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- Why the friendly team at Edwards Estates find selling in Frigiliana a breeze - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- What are the betting odds for Brexit - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 09:45
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25