IT’S the last place on earth you’d expect to find comfort and luxury. But if you’re looking for some upmarket R&R, get thee to a nunnery.
Or rather, two nunneries. Spanish designer Francesc Rife has transformed the 17th-century San Jose and Santa Teresa convents in Valencia into a food market and cinema and plans to add a hotel.
Rechristened Convent Carmen, the palm-strewn grounds have been fitted with shady pergolas and three shipping containers which house funky al fresco ‘food truck’ style restaurants – serving everything from regional classics like esgarraet and espetos to ramen and pad Thai.
The main buildings, which have been reconstructed in a minimalist style to accentuate the structure’s domed ceilings, will host film screenings and public talks.
“We sought to create very little noise through the design of a specifically minimalist structure,” said Rifé.
“Through light, we have worked to highlight the main elements of the church… The RGB colour light system allows you to experience space in a much more mystical and special way.”
A 50-room hotel is slated to open at the complex in 2020.
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48
- DON’T LEAF US THIS WAY: Brexit striking fear into hearts of ‘terrified’ farmers in Spain’s Andalucia - 9 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- One in every seven euros into Spain’s economy comes from tourism - 9 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- There is more than just good fish restaurants in the seaside resort of Manilva - 7 Mar, 2019 @ 15:23