MORRISONS has sparked outrage among Spaniards after announcing it will sell cheesy churros this Christmas.
Twitter users have slammed the supermarket giant for ‘blasphemy,’ claiming that this new twist on their beloved national treat doesn’t even deserve to be called a churro.
It comes after Fiona Govan, editor of The Local, shared the news on Twitter, writing, ‘wait until Spain hears about this…’
British supermarket @Morrisons is launching the ultimate Christmas treat (apparently): Cheesy churros with tomato and red pepper sauce for dipping. Wait until Spain hears about this… https://t.co/6WxkFAOWUS pic.twitter.com/FJgTuh1RC2
— Fiona Govan (@fifimadrid) November 22, 2018
One user commented: “Keep Gibraltar but don’t do this please.”
Keep Gibraltar but don't do this please.
— David irritans ?? (@bastaluek) November 22, 2018
While another joked: “Cooking fish and chips with vanilla ice cream in three, two, one.”
Morrisons describes its controversial Christmas creation as a ‘blend of mashed potato, cheese sauce and Gouda cheese with a red pepper dip and a medium fat hard cheese sprinkle.’
One user even linked the retailer’s new creation to Pedro Sanchez’s initial threat to veto Theresa May’s Brexit deal.
Is this revenge for the Gibraltar comments?
— Llibertat Carrer Balmes (@EspiaDelPatinet) November 22, 2018
Morrisons’ cheesy churros are available from December 16.
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57