MORRISONS has sparked outrage among Spaniards after announcing it will sell cheesy churros this Christmas.
Twitter users have slammed the supermarket giant for ‘blasphemy,’ claiming that this new twist on their beloved national treat doesn’t even deserve to be called a churro.
It comes after Fiona Govan, editor of The Local, shared the news on Twitter, writing, ‘wait until Spain hears about this…’
British supermarket @Morrisons is launching the ultimate Christmas treat (apparently): Cheesy churros with tomato and red pepper sauce for dipping. Wait until Spain hears about this… https://t.co/6WxkFAOWUS pic.twitter.com/FJgTuh1RC2
— Fiona Govan (@fifimadrid) November 22, 2018
One user commented: “Keep Gibraltar but don’t do this please.”
Keep Gibraltar but don't do this please.
— David irritans ?? (@bastaluek) November 22, 2018
While another joked: “Cooking fish and chips with vanilla ice cream in three, two, one.”
Morrisons describes its controversial Christmas creation as a ‘blend of mashed potato, cheese sauce and Gouda cheese with a red pepper dip and a medium fat hard cheese sprinkle.’
One user even linked the retailer’s new creation to Pedro Sanchez’s initial threat to veto Theresa May’s Brexit deal.
Is this revenge for the Gibraltar comments?
— Llibertat Carrer Balmes (@EspiaDelPatinet) November 22, 2018
Morrisons’ cheesy churros are available from December 16.
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58