A YOUTH faces possible manslaughter charges after he hit a 90-year-old woman with his electric scooter in northern Spain.
The woman, who was out for a stroll in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona in August, becomes Spain’s first pedestrian death by an electric scooter.
Sources told El Pais that the rider was using the Google Maps app on his phone when he hit the woman, travelling at 30 km/h.
The fatal accident occurred on a pedestrianised section of the Rambla del Carme thoroughfare of the city.
After the woman fell down and hit her head on the pavement she was rushed to the Moisès Broggi Hospital in a critical condition, where she died days later.
Manoli, the manager of an upholstery shop on the street where she died, said:”She was always going up and down with her walker. She was very well-known.”
Last month Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, said the criminal code would be reformed to sort out the conflict between pedestrians and scooter users.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26