A YOUTH faces possible manslaughter charges after he hit a 90-year-old woman with his electric scooter in northern Spain.
The woman, who was out for a stroll in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona in August, becomes Spain’s first pedestrian death by an electric scooter.
Sources told El Pais that the rider was using the Google Maps app on his phone when he hit the woman, travelling at 30 km/h.
The fatal accident occurred on a pedestrianised section of the Rambla del Carme thoroughfare of the city.
After the woman fell down and hit her head on the pavement she was rushed to the Moisès Broggi Hospital in a critical condition, where she died days later.
Manoli, the manager of an upholstery shop on the street where she died, said:”She was always going up and down with her walker. She was very well-known.”
Last month Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, said the criminal code would be reformed to sort out the conflict between pedestrians and scooter users.
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44