A YOUTH faces possible manslaughter charges after he hit a 90-year-old woman with his electric scooter in northern Spain.
The woman, who was out for a stroll in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona in August, becomes Spain’s first pedestrian death by an electric scooter.
Sources told El Pais that the rider was using the Google Maps app on his phone when he hit the woman, travelling at 30 km/h.
The fatal accident occurred on a pedestrianised section of the Rambla del Carme thoroughfare of the city.
After the woman fell down and hit her head on the pavement she was rushed to the Moisès Broggi Hospital in a critical condition, where she died days later.
Manoli, the manager of an upholstery shop on the street where she died, said:”She was always going up and down with her walker. She was very well-known.”
Last month Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, said the criminal code would be reformed to sort out the conflict between pedestrians and scooter users.
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- REVEALED: Which of Spain’s regions will be having the most sex this Valentine’s Day - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00