A SPANISH expat living in Dublin has called his family to let them know he is still alive following a Facebook hoax.
Fernando La Fuente called his family in Spain to tell them, ‘basically, I’m not dead,’ after his football club Ballybrack FC falsely announced his ‘tragic’ death on social media.
The Leinster Senior League (LSL) has launched a probe into why the Dublin-based club said their player had died in a ‘traffic accident’ on his way home from training last Thursday.
It is thought that the club revealed the fake news so they could get an important match with Arklow Town on Saturday postponed.
The Spanish IT worker and left-back, turned striker, was nicknamed ‘Lazarus of Ballybrack’ and spoke of his shock at the news of his death.
Speaking to The Sun said: “I was just in from work playing some video games and I got a call from work and they tell me I’m a celebrity.
“They started sending me all these news articles and that’s how I found out that I was dead.”
The LSL chairman Dave Moran confirmed he is meeting with the south Dublin-based club tomorrow.
He said: “We’ll be meeting with Ballybrack tomorrow to discuss what happens from here, but I’ve spoken to the man responsible and he’s really hurting bad.
“He’d no idea it would go this far and he’s hugely upset, so as of now all our focus is on helping him.”
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50
- Neighbours of British expat accused of murdering wife in Spain say he bugged phones and was obsessed with security - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 20:53
- Village in Spain ‘bewildered’ as Robin Hood mystery figure slides cash envelopes of up to €100 under doors - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 19:21
- Spain and rest of EU airspace closed to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft after plane crash in Ethiopia kills all 157 passengers - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 20:20
- ‘WE’RE HERE’: British expats on Costa del Sol re-launch Alzheimer’s and Dementia support charity shop - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 18:24
- Malaga judge rejects report from uncle’s lawyers claiming little Julen who died in well was killed by rescue worker’s pickaxe - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 13:39