A BRITISH man wanted over a ‘one punch’ kill of an expat pensioner has been arrested on the Costa del Sol.
The 45-year-old was snared at Malaga Airport on Friday on a European Arrest Warrant having flown back to Spain from the UK.
It comes after a manhunt was underway to find the tourist who killed Argentinian grandad, 65-year-old Mario Sauco on August 14 in Fuengirola.
The Brit is believed to have fled to the UK after punching the pensioner once in the back of the head while walking home after an evening out with a friend in Fuengirola.
It is believed the suspect accused the victim of ‘touching up’ a 16-year-old girl in a bar, who witnesses thought was the OAP’s daughter.
Dad-of-three Sauco fell and hit his head on the ground just 300 feet from his home.
He suffered a broken skull and was in a coma for 10 days before dying at Malaga’s Carlos Haya Hospital.
It is believed the suspect, who has not yet been named by police, decided to return to Spain to hand himself in, reported The Sun.
He was taken to a police station for questioning ahead of a court appearance on Monday in Fuengirola.
Well-placed sources told The Sun he has been released on bail, while a judge investigates the manslaughter probe.
A witness had photographed the aggressor on the scene with his mobile phone – an image that the family circulated through social networks to try to identify him.
The witness said a British man stayed near Sauco’s body ‘crying’ when he saw the OAP was not moving following the punch.
“He was crying and said: ‘I think I have killed a man’,” said the witness.
Investigators went to every store, every beach bar, restaurant and hotel in the area to find information and eventually put together the suspect’s name and surname.
More to follow.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03