@foreignoffice @HMGoG_MIP enough is enough it may not undermine sovereignty for the UK,but for as Gibralterians it's an invasion of BGTW.The UK Government must take action in defence of it's people. pic.twitter.com/QNGKpCjXKw
— Nicholas Karnani????????????????? (@Atajate71) December 4, 2018
A SPANISH warship has ‘illegally’ sailed into British waters off Gibraltar while blasting its national anthem.
Gibraltarian Fisherman Nicholas Karnani filmed the Spanish naval vessel passing the Rock before uploading the incendiary clip to Twitter.
In the video, ‘Marcha Real’ can be heard blaring in the latest gesture of military might near the British Overseas Territory.
Karnani wrote: “Enough is enough, it may not undermine sovereignty for the UK, but for us Gibraltarians it’s an invasion of BGTW (British Gibraltar Territorial Waters).
“The UK Government must take action in defence of its people.”
The UK Defence Journal also confirmed the news and said the boat was an Infanta Elena, a Descubierta class corvette dating from 1980.
Another Gibraltarian, John Connor MBE said: “Clear provocation. Looking forward to the Foreign Office’s impotent PC verbal response.”
The inflammatory military exercise by the Spanish comes after the British nuclear submarine HMS Astute arrived in Gibraltar at the weekend.
Last month also saw a Royal Navy ship off Gibraltar fire a warning flare when a Spanish Guardia Civil boat got too close to nuclear submarine HMS Talent.
There have been growing tensions between the UK and Spain since discussions over the future of Gibraltar’s sovereignty emerged following Brexit talks.
Spain’s troublesome foreign minister Josep Borrell ignited fierce debate after he said: “I think the United Kingdom will split apart before the Kingdom of Spain.”
He also claimed Spain would not stop an independent Scotland joining the EU and with Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez also appeared to reopen the debate on the sovereignty of the Rock.
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50
- Neighbours of British expat accused of murdering wife in Spain say he bugged phones and was obsessed with security - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 20:53
- Village in Spain ‘bewildered’ as Robin Hood mystery figure slides cash envelopes of up to €100 under doors - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 19:21
- Spain and rest of EU airspace closed to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft after plane crash in Ethiopia kills all 157 passengers - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 20:20
- ‘WE’RE HERE’: British expats on Costa del Sol re-launch Alzheimer’s and Dementia support charity shop - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 18:24
- Malaga judge rejects report from uncle’s lawyers claiming little Julen who died in well was killed by rescue worker’s pickaxe - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 13:39