SUSANA Diaz has said she will not resign after her PSOE party had its worst regional election performance since 1975.
After she called the snap election Andalucia’s acting leader lost 14 seats, while far-right party Vox gained their first 12, in the region’s 109-seat parliament.
Diaz had hoped an early vote would buoy the Pedro Sanchez administration but typically socialist Andalucia instead gave huge gains to pro-life, anti-immigration party Vox.
As she looks to form a government, Diaz said on Wednesday: “Obviously, if I do not rule, I will stay in Parliament.”
The local leader said she would take her seat, even if the opposition parties formed a coalition.
It comes as the PP and Ciudadanos look to strike a deal with Vox, despite the far-right party initially saying they would not cooperate.
The Ciudadanos are however the only option for Diaz’ PSOE to rule Andalucia, but the centre-right party are more likely to work with the PP.
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58