THE UK has said it will file a complaint with Spain after its warship ‘illegally’ entered British waters off Gibraltar on Tuesday blaring the national anthem.
Spain’s inflammatory war games were shared in an online video and applauded by Spanish Vice-President of the European Parliament, Ramón Luis Valcárcel.
The Brussels MEP labelled Gibraltarians ‘laughing monkeys’ in an explosive Twitter thread, which he swiftly deleted.
He said: “Strong applause for the patrol boat ‘Infanta Elena’ (P-76) who today has sailed past the Rock of Gibraltar playing her national anthem at full volume.”
Fisherman Nicholas Karnani uploaded the incendiary clip online and was among scores of Gibraltarians to call on the UK Government to ‘defend its people.’
Meanwhile British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley told EL PAÍS that the UK would send a formal complaint ‘in the next few days.’
“As we always do, we will send in the next few days a diplomatic complaint about the incursion of the ship in those waters,” the diplomat said.
In the video a corvette warship can be seen blasting Spain’s national anthem ‘Marcha Real,’ as it sails freely past the Rock of Gibraltar.
It comes as British nuclear submarine HMS Astute arrived in Gibraltar at the weekend, while last month saw a Royal Navy ship off Gibraltar fire a warning flare at a Spanish Guardia Civil boat.
There has been fresh tension between the UK and Spain since Brexit negotiations reopened the question of Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53