THE UK has said it will file a complaint with Spain after its warship ‘illegally’ entered British waters off Gibraltar on Tuesday blaring the national anthem.
Spain’s inflammatory war games were shared in an online video and applauded by Spanish Vice-President of the European Parliament, Ramón Luis Valcárcel.
The Brussels MEP labelled Gibraltarians ‘laughing monkeys’ in an explosive Twitter thread, which he swiftly deleted.
He said: “Strong applause for the patrol boat ‘Infanta Elena’ (P-76) who today has sailed past the Rock of Gibraltar playing her national anthem at full volume.”
Fisherman Nicholas Karnani uploaded the incendiary clip online and was among scores of Gibraltarians to call on the UK Government to ‘defend its people.’
Meanwhile British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley told EL PAÍS that the UK would send a formal complaint ‘in the next few days.’
“As we always do, we will send in the next few days a diplomatic complaint about the incursion of the ship in those waters,” the diplomat said.
In the video a corvette warship can be seen blasting Spain’s national anthem ‘Marcha Real,’ as it sails freely past the Rock of Gibraltar.
It comes as British nuclear submarine HMS Astute arrived in Gibraltar at the weekend, while last month saw a Royal Navy ship off Gibraltar fire a warning flare at a Spanish Guardia Civil boat.
There has been fresh tension between the UK and Spain since Brexit negotiations reopened the question of Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59