THE UK has said it will file a complaint with Spain after its warship ‘illegally’ entered British waters off Gibraltar on Tuesday blaring the national anthem.
Spain’s inflammatory war games were shared in an online video and applauded by Spanish Vice-President of the European Parliament, Ramón Luis Valcárcel.
The Brussels MEP labelled Gibraltarians ‘laughing monkeys’ in an explosive Twitter thread, which he swiftly deleted.
He said: “Strong applause for the patrol boat ‘Infanta Elena’ (P-76) who today has sailed past the Rock of Gibraltar playing her national anthem at full volume.”
Fisherman Nicholas Karnani uploaded the incendiary clip online and was among scores of Gibraltarians to call on the UK Government to ‘defend its people.’
Meanwhile British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley told EL PAÍS that the UK would send a formal complaint ‘in the next few days.’
“As we always do, we will send in the next few days a diplomatic complaint about the incursion of the ship in those waters,” the diplomat said.
In the video a corvette warship can be seen blasting Spain’s national anthem ‘Marcha Real,’ as it sails freely past the Rock of Gibraltar.
It comes as British nuclear submarine HMS Astute arrived in Gibraltar at the weekend, while last month saw a Royal Navy ship off Gibraltar fire a warning flare at a Spanish Guardia Civil boat.
There has been fresh tension between the UK and Spain since Brexit negotiations reopened the question of Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26