ANDALUCIA is among the top 20 most sought-after travel destinations in the world for Airbnb customers.
According to the property portal, Spain’s southernmost region was one of the most searched or reserved destinations this year, as well as one of the most popular additions to travellers’ wish lists.
Its 18th place ranking represents a 100% increase in its popularity in just one year.
According to Airbnb, trending locations are more likely to boast sustainable and authentic tourism models which ‘equally benefit locals and travellers’.
The good news comes as Malaga was declared the second-most resilient province to ‘seasonality’ in Spain following huge investments in inland tourism, year-round projects and unique offerings like the Caminito del Rey.
“More and more people are looking to Andalucia, with the number of people adding it to their wish list doubling,” Airbnb said, noting that Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla are the ‘crown jewels’ in its collection.
“It is a destination loved globally for its incredible architecture: the set of the Real Alcazar de Sevilla, the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba, the Alhambra of Granada and more,” the company added.
“However those travellers who want a unique journey filled with authenticity can follow the route of the white villages (like Ronda, Vejer and Gaucin) or marvel at the beauty of locations like Malaga’s Frigiliana, whose Moorish neighbourhood will delight lovers of history.”
The most sought-after destination on Airbnb’s list was the coastal resort of Kaikoura on South Island, New Zealand, with a 295% surge in bookings year-on-year, followed by the desert island of Xiamen in China, which had a 282% increase.
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45