BRITISH families are facing having their Christmas plans ruined following the ongoing drone drama at London Gatwick which has seen all flights suspended or cancelled.
British expats flying home for Christmas have now had to rebook or fork out potentially hundreds for another flight after airport bosses in London closed down Gatwick’s runway.
It comes after drones were spotted flying over the airfield late last night.
The runway was shut immediately but was reopened at 3.01am British time before closing AGAIN when another drone was spotted.
One British expat, flying on an 11.20am Norwegian flight from Malaga to London received a notification telling her her flight was cancelled this morning.
“This is ridiculous, thousands of people affected by a bunch of drones,” she told the Olive Press, “most of us are trying to fly home for Christmas and after buying all our presents the last thing we need is having to fork out for another flight.”
At least one drone is STILL flying over London Gatwick, the airport boss has announced.
Police have been called to the airport and are still trying to catch the drones.
Meanwhile, dozens of Brits are feeling at their wits end trying to reach family in Spain.
Flights from @Gatwick_Airport for family coming to Spain for Dad's 80th got cancelled ??. Can anyone help get them here for 22nd Dec? #help #drones #GatwickAirport #Murcia #makeanoldmanhappy #dadwillbesad
— Jo Clewlow (@JoClewlow) December 20, 2018
One Twitter user said they were desperately trying to reach Murcia for their grandfather’s 80th birthday.
“Flights from @Gatwick_Airport for family coming to Spain for Dad’s 80th got cancelled ??. Can anyone help get them here for 22nd Dec?” they wrote.
— Amina (@littlebigrawr) December 20, 2018
“Spain is cancelled,” wrote another, tweeting a video from inside Gatwick Airport showing dozens of travellers stuck and waiting.
Another Twitter user has appealed for help to get to Spain for her father’s funeral tomorrow.
#BritishAirways #gatwick_airport flights cancelled Anyone have any ideas how myself and my brother can get a flight to spain as we to be at my dads funeral tomorrow and I am being told all flights are now full any help would be appreciated. #panic is setting in I can’t miss it.
— Audrey Garland (@audrey_garland) December 20, 2018
“Flights cancelled. Anyone have any ideas how myself and brother can get a flight to Spain as we (have) to be at my dad’s funeral tomorrow… panic is setting in I can’t miss it,” she wrote.
Others trying to get to Spain tried to see the funny side.
“Don’t worry, Santa is here to save the day. All I want for Christmas is….. my flight to Spain,” one traveller wrote, tweeting a picture of a Santa inside the airport.
— Mark H (@ObscureMH) December 20, 2018
There are now calls for tougher laws to be brought in against the use of private drones.
While another British expat said her cousin and two daughters were stuck trying to fly to Spain for Christmas.
“My cousin and her 2 children are at Gatwick waiting to fly off for Christmas,” she wrote.
My cousin and her 2 children are at Gatwick waiting to fly off for Christmas ?
— Sue Cook (@SueinSpain) December 20, 2018
More to follow…
Has your flight home been cancelled or affected today? Get in touch at [email protected]
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14