THE influenza death toll in the Canary Islands has now risen to 12, as an epidemic has been declared across Spain.
The islands have also seen 95 serious cases admitted over the last week, meaning the Canaries will also now declare an epidemic.
“Everything seems to indicate the beginning of the epidemic wave this week,” read a report by the Surveillance Network of the Canary Islands Health Service (SCS).
The Canary Islands incidence rate now stands at 78.75 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, according to the General Directorate of Public Health.
Among the reasons by the SCS for planning to declare an epidemic in the Canaries, is a higher rate of incidence among children.
Over six out of 10 of those hospitalised with flu in the Canaries are over 64 – the most at risk age category.
Meanwhile 81% of those affected had risk factors, while most were never vaccinated.
- Woman in Spain dies and 18 others sick after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:48
- Spain-Morocco railway tunnel talks underway government says - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:01
- WATCH: Dead sheep mysteriously washes up on Gibraltar beach (WARNING: distressing images) - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 18:41
- WATCH: Police in Spain ‘fire rubber bullets’ at Scottish football fans after Benidorm bar ‘torched’ and man arrested for crystal meth - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:08
- Vandalised Malaga cultural centre has CCTV installed in police crackdown on graffiti - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:41
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24