THE influenza death toll in the Canary Islands has now risen to 12, as an epidemic has been declared across Spain.
The islands have also seen 95 serious cases admitted over the last week, meaning the Canaries will also now declare an epidemic.
“Everything seems to indicate the beginning of the epidemic wave this week,” read a report by the Surveillance Network of the Canary Islands Health Service (SCS).
The Canary Islands incidence rate now stands at 78.75 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, according to the General Directorate of Public Health.
Among the reasons by the SCS for planning to declare an epidemic in the Canaries, is a higher rate of incidence among children.
Over six out of 10 of those hospitalised with flu in the Canaries are over 64 – the most at risk age category.
Meanwhile 81% of those affected had risk factors, while most were never vaccinated.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25