BRITISH pensioners have warned that an expat conwoman could be behind a Costa del Sol taxi scam.
The pair, both 75, claim they were confronted by the English woman on the Three Kings bank holiday as they waited for a bus at Arroyo bus stop in Benalmadena.
They told the Olive Press the woman, with a child in her car, told them the buses had been cancelled and they needed to board a shuttle, which was pulled up beside her.
She was ‘quite insistent’ and told them the driver of the 4×4 ‘shuttle’ had a town hall badge.
“We had heard about these scams in your paper and told her that we didn’t believe her,” one of the pensioners, who asked to remain anonymous, revealed.
“She insisted it was true and said the driver was official and had a badge.
“When we told her we would get a real taxi she said they will charge us treble on Three Kings’ Night and became oddly persistent.”
Alarmingly, he added that a foreigner appeared to be enticing a different pensioner across the road to get into the ‘shuttle’.
“At this point a bus came down and the English woman and ‘shuttle’ sped off.”
The expat branded the pair a disgrace.
“If he had a badge it was a forgery, and they were robbing the taxi drivers of business too, God knows what would have happened had we accepted the ‘free’ shuttle.
“Please warn everyone of this scam, it’s a disgrace!”
Have you seen this pair operating in the Benalmadena area or been a victim? Contact the Olive Press at [email protected]
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45