A BRITISH expat has been threatened by police with an €800 fine for not taking down the Union Jack bunting at her ‘Little Britannia’ bar in Spain.
“It is a British bar so what harm are some flags doing promoting my business?” she said.
“I wonder if they’d do the same if the flags were Spanish?”
Police even threatened to double the fine to €1,600 when Tracey refused to take down the flags at the bar in the city’s old town.
The Yorkshire woman says her bunting has been up for two years and that now she is hiring a solicitor to fight the fines.
One of Tracey’s regulars also told the Sun: “There’s real concern that local bigwigs have ordered a crackdown on Brit bars.
“There’s not a lot of love lost for Brits in Europe right now, and this could be Benidorm officials giving Brits a kicking in their own way,” they added.
The bunting has been taken down, while Tracey looks to overturn the ban.
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17