A BRITISH expat has been threatened by police with an €800 fine for not taking down the Union Jack bunting at her ‘Little Britannia’ bar in Spain.
“It is a British bar so what harm are some flags doing promoting my business?” she said.
“I wonder if they’d do the same if the flags were Spanish?”
Police even threatened to double the fine to €1,600 when Tracey refused to take down the flags at the bar in the city’s old town.
The Yorkshire woman says her bunting has been up for two years and that now she is hiring a solicitor to fight the fines.
One of Tracey’s regulars also told the Sun: “There’s real concern that local bigwigs have ordered a crackdown on Brit bars.
“There’s not a lot of love lost for Brits in Europe right now, and this could be Benidorm officials giving Brits a kicking in their own way,” they added.
The bunting has been taken down, while Tracey looks to overturn the ban.
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25
- British chef Jamie Oliver opens NEW restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:05
- Financial specialist Blacktower is continuing to make inroads in Spain, offering excellent advice to expats of all nationalities - 15 May, 2019 @ 13:13
- ‘SERIOUS CONCERN’: Huge rise in murders and assassinations on Costa del Sol, public prosecutor says - 15 May, 2019 @ 11:37
- Liverpool back in Marbella for seven-day training camp ahead of Champions League final with Tottenham in Madrid - 14 May, 2019 @ 18:02