POLICE in Spain have smashed one of the largest cocaine labs in Europe, which was run from a luxury villa on the Costa del Sol.
The lab, also at a villa, in the Valencian town of El Puig, was staffed by expert South American drugmakers or ‘chefs’.
The remote drug house had 24-hour protection provided by Moroccan staff who also used the property to grow cannabis.
Meanwhile some 8,500 litres of chemicals needed to produce the narcotic were seized from 10 different properties.
In addition four cars, one van, one motorcycle, a 6mm revolver with a box of 47 cartridges, computer equipment, phones and cash were also taken.
In total 11 arrests were made across six provinces, including Madrid, Malaga, Toledo, Valencia, Valladolid and Pontevedra.
The Spanish, Colombian and Albanian suspects are believed to part of a sophisticated criminal gang, who used shipping containers to hide their product.
Cops also intercepted 12 sacks of palm kernel flour, a substance used to smuggle cocaine past border officials and chemical testing.
It is estimated by police that three whole tonnes of cocaine could have been smuggled in this way.
The investigation resulted in the capture of 10 shipping containers carrying cocaine at the Port of Marín in Pontevedra in northwest Spain.
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 job losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03