POLICE in Spain have smashed one of the largest cocaine labs in Europe, which was run from a luxury villa on the Costa del Sol.
The lab, also at a villa, in the Valencian town of El Puig, was staffed by expert South American drugmakers or ‘chefs’.
The remote drug house had 24-hour protection provided by Moroccan staff who also used the property to grow cannabis.
Meanwhile some 8,500 litres of chemicals needed to produce the narcotic were seized from 10 different properties.
In addition four cars, one van, one motorcycle, a 6mm revolver with a box of 47 cartridges, computer equipment, phones and cash were also taken.
In total 11 arrests were made across six provinces, including Madrid, Malaga, Toledo, Valencia, Valladolid and Pontevedra.
The Spanish, Colombian and Albanian suspects are believed to part of a sophisticated criminal gang, who used shipping containers to hide their product.
Cops also intercepted 12 sacks of palm kernel flour, a substance used to smuggle cocaine past border officials and chemical testing.
It is estimated by police that three whole tonnes of cocaine could have been smuggled in this way.
The investigation resulted in the capture of 10 shipping containers carrying cocaine at the Port of Marín in Pontevedra in northwest Spain.
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42