THE Rock’s leaders have met with several UK MPs in Westminster in a bid to strengthen Brexit arrangements for Gibraltar.
Chief Minister Fabian Picardo and his deputy Joseph Garcia held meetings with five prominent UK Government Ministers.
They included prominent Brexiteer Bernard Jenkin, remain vote campaigner Nicky Morgan and Bob Neill, Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Gibraltar.
Among the Labour MPs to speak with Picardo and Garcia were the Shadow Brexit Secretary Kier Starmer and Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry.
No formal agreements were made, but Picardo said progress was made on explaining Gibraltar’s Brexit position to MPs.
“The strategy of the Government in keeping parliamentarians abreast of developments in Gibraltar continues to work,” said the Chief Minister.
It comes as MPs are set to vote on amendments to British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit deal on Tuesday.
Conservative MPs have been ordered to back an alternative to the Irish backstop, a guarantee of a frictionless border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Meanwhile various cross-party groups of MPs have tabled proposals that include measures to rule out a no-deal exit from the EU and to delay the exit date of March 29.
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 job losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00