THE Rock’s leaders have met with several UK MPs in Westminster in a bid to strengthen Brexit arrangements for Gibraltar.
Chief Minister Fabian Picardo and his deputy Joseph Garcia held meetings with five prominent UK Government Ministers.
They included prominent Brexiteer Bernard Jenkin, remain vote campaigner Nicky Morgan and Bob Neill, Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Gibraltar.
Among the Labour MPs to speak with Picardo and Garcia were the Shadow Brexit Secretary Kier Starmer and Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry.
No formal agreements were made, but Picardo said progress was made on explaining Gibraltar’s Brexit position to MPs.
“The strategy of the Government in keeping parliamentarians abreast of developments in Gibraltar continues to work,” said the Chief Minister.
It comes as MPs are set to vote on amendments to British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit deal on Tuesday.
Conservative MPs have been ordered to back an alternative to the Irish backstop, a guarantee of a frictionless border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Meanwhile various cross-party groups of MPs have tabled proposals that include measures to rule out a no-deal exit from the EU and to delay the exit date of March 29.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59