The Spanish Wine Federation have issued advice to the industry to reduce the threat of the UK’s potential no-deal exit from the EU.
It told its members to make advanced transportation plans and ensure wine is correctly labelled.
It comes as the value of the pound plummeted on Tuesday night following MPs’ vote on amendments to her Brexit deal.
This is after Rioja imports have been negatively affected by Brexit since early 2018.
Exports to the UK dropped 16% in the first 11 months of last year, while global markets saw a 10% slump, according to wine association Grupo Rioja.
He added: “Of course it could get worse in case of no deal.
“The sterling would further depreciate and the UK would turn into a third country with no custom agreement and probably higher duties.”
La Rioja is the largest European wine region in terms of exports to the UK.
In the first nine months of 2018, its wineries sold 32 million litres of vino to UK buyers – one third of its total global exports.
The UK is set to leave the EU on March 29 and Theresa May now has to negotiate her Brexit agreement with Brussels.
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00