THE woman who accused a religious cult leader of mass rape has killed herself in Spain while in hiding.
Sabrina Bittencourt, 38, is the Brazilian activist who claimed that the John of God cult leader, Joao Teixeira de Faria ran ‘baby farms’.
Her son Gabriel Baum confirmed his mum had died and said: “She took the last step so that we could live, they killed my mother.”
Sabrina apparently left a note explaining why she had taken her own life.
The mum-of-three died at around 9:00pm on Saturday in Barcelona, where she was ‘living under the protection’ following death threats.
Sabrina worked with Victimas Unidas, an organisation that supports victims of sexual abuse. She alleged that Teixeira had tried to sell babies for up to €45,000 across the world.
According the Sun, Sabrina previously said: “Hundreds of girls were enslaved over years, lived on farms in Goias, served as wombs to get pregnant, for their babies to be sold.
“These girls were murdered after 10 years of giving birth. We have got a number of testimonies.”
Over 600 women reported sexual abuse by the Brazilian faith leader, who was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey in 2010.
Teixeira was arrested last month after leading police a week-long chase, in which he eventually surrendered.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25