GENERAL Franco, the former dictator of Spain, will be exhumed from his grave, Pedro Sanchez has said.
The announcement by the Spanish Prime Minister comes just hours after he called a general election for April 28.
Franco is buried at the Valley of the Fallen in Madrid, a monument to the Spanish Civil War.
But discussions over the exhumation of his remains have divided Spain.
The controversial site has faced huge criticism for being the only remaining monument dedicated to a fascist leader in Europe, where General Francisco Franco’s body was buried some 40 years ago.
Sanchez has said he wants to proceed immediately with digging up the former dictator, and wants to complete the plan before summer.
The Government has now reached an agreement preventing Franco’s family from burying his body in the cathedral of Almudena.
However, the move on Friday, allows the family 15 days to appeal the decision, which could blow a hole in Sanchez’s plans to dig up Franco before the elections.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53