The dispute over whether the British Overseas Territory should be described as a ‘colony’ threatens agreements on legislation that exempts UK nationals from requiring the travel permit.
This morning the European parliament rejected a Spanish proposal that a footnote containing the contentious description of the disputed territory be added to the legislation.
It is the third time the proposal has been sent back by MEPs, increasing the risk the plan will not be in place before the UK leaves.
Czech MEP, Petr Ježek, told the Guardian Spain was ‘playing with fire’ with just weeks to go before the UK leaves the EU.
The plan would secure visa free travel until 2021, after that Brits will need to pay €8 for three years visa-free travel under a new European Travel Information and Authorisation System.
But if the current impasse is not broken and the UK crashes out, Brits planning on staying in an EU country for less than 90 days would have to pay €60 for a Schengen visa that takes up to two weeks to be authorised.
Ježek said: “The negotiation is stuck,Brexit will hurt immensely and we should do everything possible to soften the impact rather than create further problems for half a billion people.
“If there is no agreement, and no visa exemption for the UK, the British government may adopt a similar approach – and that would be a disaster.”
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05