The Spanish vessel, ‘Infanta Cristina’ faced off with the little British boat on Thursday at 9:30am around a mile and a half off Gibraltar’s shore.
A British source told the Sun that he believed the incident was the 5th this year and said: “It’s happening very frequently now.”
He added: “Locals are saying that the Royal Navy and the British government should do more to stop these incursions.
“The strait of Gibraltar is very populated with ships and tankers and something serious could happen one day.”
The Royal Navy HMS Sabre pursued the Spanish warship, which is armed with guns, torpedoes and mortar weapons.
A spokesperson for the UK Foreign Office said: “We can confirm an incursion by the Spanish navy occurred this morning.
“As with all incursions, the Royal Navy challenged the vessel.
“When challenged, the Spanish navy vessel left British Gibraltar Territorial Waters.
“Incursions are a violation of sovereignty, not a threat to it.
“We have no doubt about our sovereignty over Gibraltar.”
This latest incident comes after a string of inflammatory moves by Spain off Gibraltar, which many have seen as attempts to question British sovereignty over the Rock.
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06