The Spanish vessel, ‘Infanta Cristina’ faced off with the little British boat on Thursday at 9:30am around a mile and a half off Gibraltar’s shore.
A British source told the Sun that he believed the incident was the 5th this year and said: “It’s happening very frequently now.”
He added: “Locals are saying that the Royal Navy and the British government should do more to stop these incursions.
“The strait of Gibraltar is very populated with ships and tankers and something serious could happen one day.”
The Royal Navy HMS Sabre pursued the Spanish warship, which is armed with guns, torpedoes and mortar weapons.
A spokesperson for the UK Foreign Office said: “We can confirm an incursion by the Spanish navy occurred this morning.
“As with all incursions, the Royal Navy challenged the vessel.
“When challenged, the Spanish navy vessel left British Gibraltar Territorial Waters.
“Incursions are a violation of sovereignty, not a threat to it.
“We have no doubt about our sovereignty over Gibraltar.”
This latest incident comes after a string of inflammatory moves by Spain off Gibraltar, which many have seen as attempts to question British sovereignty over the Rock.
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53
- Gibraltar announces drone crackdown after Gatwick attacks saw 140,000 travellers affected at Christmas - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46