THE UK has rejected EU legislation that supports Spain’s claims over Gibraltar airport.
Spain says it owns the land on which the airport is built.
But EU no-deal Brexit legislation says it is ‘without prejudice’ to the ‘position of the Kingdom of Spain with regard to the sovereignty over the territory in which the airport of Gibraltar is situated’.
Direct UK-EU flights will continue for nine months in the event of a no-deal Brexit, but Gibraltar is not covered by this arrangement.
Spain refuses to acknowledge the UK’s sovereignty over the strip of land in the north of Gibraltar on which the airport sits.
The Treaty of Utrecht, under which Spain ceded Gibraltar to the UK, does not recognise British sovereignty over the rock, past the old town as it was in 1713.
The UK’s deputy ambassador to the EU, Katrina Williams, has rejected the language in the legislation, and said that the UK’s claim over the Rock should also be included.
She said the UK ‘reiterates certainty over its sovereignty over Gibraltar, including the territory in which Gibraltar airport is situated’.
EU sources said the UK should realise that leaving the EU will have repercussions.
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53
- Gibraltar announces drone crackdown after Gatwick attacks saw 140,000 travellers affected at Christmas - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46