THE UK has rejected EU legislation that supports Spain’s claims over Gibraltar airport.
Spain says it owns the land on which the airport is built.
But EU no-deal Brexit legislation says it is ‘without prejudice’ to the ‘position of the Kingdom of Spain with regard to the sovereignty over the territory in which the airport of Gibraltar is situated’.
Direct UK-EU flights will continue for nine months in the event of a no-deal Brexit, but Gibraltar is not covered by this arrangement.
Spain refuses to acknowledge the UK’s sovereignty over the strip of land in the north of Gibraltar on which the airport sits.
The Treaty of Utrecht, under which Spain ceded Gibraltar to the UK, does not recognise British sovereignty over the rock, past the old town as it was in 1713.
The UK’s deputy ambassador to the EU, Katrina Williams, has rejected the language in the legislation, and said that the UK’s claim over the Rock should also be included.
She said the UK ‘reiterates certainty over its sovereignty over Gibraltar, including the territory in which Gibraltar airport is situated’.
EU sources said the UK should realise that leaving the EU will have repercussions.
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06