ONE in every seven euros paid into the Spanish economy last year came from tourism, new figures have revealed.
The stats, from the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), revealed the industry to be vital to the country’s economy as it overtook the US to become the world’s second-largest receiver of international tourists.
The statistics showed Spain’s tourism sector grew by 2.4% and contributed a whopping €178 billion to the economy – or 14.6% of the country’s GDP.
It also accounted for 2.8 million jobs – 14.7% of all jobs in Spain.
Some 55% of tourists were from abroad, with 45% being domestic visitors, the figures also revealed.
“In Spain, consumer spending experienced robust growth and the Travel & Tourism sector performed well last year,” the WTTC said.
“Spain has the potential to increase the size of its travel economy even further by growing the size of its business tourism sector.
At present, business travellers account for only 12% of all spending in Spain against a European average of 21%.
“It is fitting, then, that WTTC will be hosting its 2019 Global Summit in Sevilla this April, bringing together global leaders and sector experts to gather in the European hub of travel.”
Spain was the fifth largest tourism economy in the EU and ninth in the world in terms of total contribution to GDP
The sector is expected to grow by 2.8% this year – above the European average of 2.5%.
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40