A BRITISH reverend who was sent home to die by doctors is celebrating his FOURTH year of dodging the grim reaper.
Vergel-based expat Clive Read, 79, was suffering from pneumonia and an undiagnosed heart condition when he stopped responding to treatment at Denia Hospital in April 2015.
The father-of-one, originally from Sidcup, was sent home with ‘a few days to live’, but miraculously recovered ‘thanks to his wife and God’.
“My wife Ann was a saint and did everything that a loving and caring wife would do and more,” the holyman told the Olive Press.
In fact it was when his wife revealed that she would need a break from being his caregiver and that she planned to bring in a part-time helper that Read sprung into action – literally.
“That very same day I rolled out of bed, rolled onto my zimmer frame, took one step and got back into bed,” he recalled.
“The next day I took another step and the next day another, until one day Ann came back from work and found me walking around the living room.”
The reverend, who has lived in Alicante for more than 50 years, shocked doctors when he returned to the hospital for treatment eight months later.
“The doctor said to me, ‘I thought you died!’
“It was then that she told me she sent me home because she thought I would have preferred to have died in my own home.”
The expat, who also runs the Oasis Help Centre, in Javea, which helps expats settle in to life in Spain, added: “Now I feel fabulous and better than ever, bring on the 80th birthday in May.”
Got an inspiring expat story? Get in touch at [email protected]
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40