A BRITISH MEP has been stripped of a key EU role after he accused opponents of ‘dirty tricks’ in the dispute over Gibraltar’s status.
Claude Moraes refused to accept the controversial description of the British overseas territory as a ‘colony’ in draft EU law.
The two largest parties, the European People’s Party and the Socialists & Democrats, forced through Moraes’ removal on the grounds of a conflict of interest.
The veteran MEP said: “This denigrates the parliament, it denigrates the UK’s position in the parliament.
“It is pretty dirty politics.”
Spain has long challenged British sovereignty over Gibraltar and argued the territory be described as a ‘colony of the British crown’ in legislation.
A number of Moraes’ fellow MEPs have defended him and called his removal an ‘unconstitutional act.’
Czech MEP Peter Jezek said: “I disassociate myself with this process and consider it scandalous that such a decision has been taken purely on the basis of the nationality.”
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00
- WATCH: Police in Spain free women held captive in Costa del Sol 24 – hour basement brothel - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 12:53