TYRE slashers who targeted tourists’ vehicles along the Costa Blanca and then robbed them while pretending to help have been arrested by Police in Catalonia.
Six men, of Serbian and Kosovar origin, were arrested in four locations near Tarragona last week for allegedly robbing foreigners on the AP-7 motorway between La Jonquera, in northern Catalonia, right down to Murcia.
The perpetrators would slash the tyres of tourists’ cars at toll booths, follow the drivers as they pulled over, and then sickeningly pose as Good Samaritans before thieving cash, jewellery and mobile phones.
“They chose mainly victims of foreign origin, because of the large amounts of money they usually carry as they come on vacation,” a spokesperson for Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalonian police force, said.
During dawn raids at Reus, Ametlla de Mar, Hospitalet de l’Infant and Miami Platja, more than 100 officers recovered €25,000 in cash, expensive jewellery, electronic devices and a firearm.
The criminal gang have been linked to 30 crimes in the past five months, though investigators estimate the crimes could be in the ‘hundreds’.
Police also believe the profits could exceed €50,000.
After investigation into the highly-organised operation began last year, Mossos investigators were aided by access to security cameras operated by Abertis, who operate toll booths along the AP-7.
The six arrested face 22 crimes of robbery, six crimes of minor damage, seven crimes against traffic safety, two crimes of robbery with violence and intimidation, two crimes of unlawful appropriation of a vehicle, one crime of theft with force, seven crimes of driving without having ever obtained the driver’s license, as well as belonging to a criminal group, amongst others.
The alleged criminals used fake ID documents to rent cars as they travelled in groups of three.
They appeared in court last Wednesday (March 27).
Have you been affected by crimes in this article? Don’t hesitate to contact the Olive Press on +34 951 273 575.
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08
- Italian accused of raping 17-year-old British girl WALKS FREE from Valencian court as incident happened on Panamanian cruise ship - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 00:19
- BREAKING: Police reveal British woman, 84, committed suicide by jumping off a bridge in Javea - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 10:36
- British pensioner dies after falling off bridge in Javea on the Costa Blanca - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 21:53
- IN PICS: Four dogs found chained in abandoned house without food among rubbish and faeces on the Costa Blanca - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:23
- Rain to soak Alicante’s Semana Santa celebrations - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:58
- NOT RUSSIAN AROUND: Russian plane charged €20,000 to park at Alicante airport - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:08
- Spain’s Mercadona ditches single-use plastic bags - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:37