A CHEESECAKE made by a Marbella chef has been crowned ‘the best in Spain’.
Malaga-born cook Fernando Alcala, owner of the city’s Kava restaurant, claimed the title in the National Championship of Cheese Cakes.
His tarta de queso was recognised for its crisp, toasted outside, creamy centre, and excellent flavour.
“The secret of our cheesecake is in the delicious contrast between the toasted exterior and the creamy interior,” Alcala said.
The Malagueño described his cake as a ‘classic of our dessert menu’, after receiving the accolade at the inaugural edition of the competition held in Gran Canaria.
Despite the toasted outside of the dessert, Alcala serves his cheesecake ‘undercooked’, giving it a soft centre.
In the two-day contest, the judging panel sampled the dessert without any accompanying sauce or side serving, in order to judge solely on the cake itself.
Pastry chef Paco Torreblanca, who lead the panel, admitted the competition was fierce and said there were at least two other cheesecakes that could have scooped the top spot.
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15