A CHEESECAKE made by a Marbella chef has been crowned ‘the best in Spain’.
Malaga-born cook Fernando Alcala, owner of the city’s Kava restaurant, claimed the title in the National Championship of Cheese Cakes.
His tarta de queso was recognised for its crisp, toasted outside, creamy centre, and excellent flavour.
“The secret of our cheesecake is in the delicious contrast between the toasted exterior and the creamy interior,” Alcala said.
The Malagueño described his cake as a ‘classic of our dessert menu’, after receiving the accolade at the inaugural edition of the competition held in Gran Canaria.
Despite the toasted outside of the dessert, Alcala serves his cheesecake ‘undercooked’, giving it a soft centre.
In the two-day contest, the judging panel sampled the dessert without any accompanying sauce or side serving, in order to judge solely on the cake itself.
Pastry chef Paco Torreblanca, who lead the panel, admitted the competition was fierce and said there were at least two other cheesecakes that could have scooped the top spot.
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58