BARACK Obama emphasised the need to ‘build bridges and not walls’ during a meeting with Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez yesterday.
The former US President and PSOE leader exchanged views on migration and climate change in the 30-minute meeting at the World Trade Summit in Sevilla.
The two keynote speakers at the tourism conference agreed on ‘the importance of multi-lateralism’ and on ‘building bridges, not walls’ to address such issues.
Both leaders alluded to the dangers facing Spain due to climate change in their speeches.
“Spain is one of the most exposed countries and that is why we are among the most committed to the 2030 agenda,” Sanchez said.
Obama warned against a sharp increase in migration due to soaring temperatures and dwindling resources.
The pair also talked about immigration policies and how to ensure respect for human rights.
Their meeting yesterday came a day after Vox leader Santiago Abascal, reiterated his party’s intention to build a Trump-style wall in Ceuta and Melilla.
Rounding off their meeting, the leaders discussed the importance of the younger generation and their involvement in politics.
The topic was a focal point of Obama’s conference speech, in which he said promoting the leadership of young people is now one of his main objectives.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49