SEVEN people have been arrested as police bust a drug trafficking gang who hid their profits using cryptocurrencies.
A Policia Nacional investigation began when officers discovered a house in Algeciras used to grow cannabis.
The criminal network, which extended up to Barcelona, also used fake companies names in order to cover their tracks.
Three growth labs were dismantled by agents and 1,000 plants (52kg of cannabis) were seized, as well as a further 2,000 plants in a Barcelona warehouse.
Five were detained in Algeciras and two in Barcelona, five of whom were jailed immediately.
Police also seized €2,000 in cash and €115,000 in computer equipment used for managing cryptocurrencies.
Meanwhile, 60 bank accounts and nine properties linked to those arrested, were also blocked.
The group are believed to have used two different cryptocurrencies to extract the profits made from drug dealing.
Among the gang’s members were experts in financial and computer accounting.
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08