SEVEN people have been arrested as police bust a drug trafficking gang who hid their profits using cryptocurrencies.
A Policia Nacional investigation began when officers discovered a house in Algeciras used to grow cannabis.
The criminal network, which extended up to Barcelona, also used fake companies names in order to cover their tracks.
Three growth labs were dismantled by agents and 1,000 plants (52kg of cannabis) were seized, as well as a further 2,000 plants in a Barcelona warehouse.
Five were detained in Algeciras and two in Barcelona, five of whom were jailed immediately.
Police also seized €2,000 in cash and €115,000 in computer equipment used for managing cryptocurrencies.
Meanwhile, 60 bank accounts and nine properties linked to those arrested, were also blocked.
The group are believed to have used two different cryptocurrencies to extract the profits made from drug dealing.
Among the gang’s members were experts in financial and computer accounting.
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48