BRITISH patients are still being handed the banned painkiller Nolotil despite a directive issued to health bodies last year following countless deaths.
The Olive Press can reveal that a hospital on the Costa del Sol handed expat pensioner Keith Caldwell, 78, the danger drug following an operation this month.
Fortunately his wife realised soon after doctor’s administered the drug, which has been banned in the UK, US and most of Europe.
“When we realised he had already had two bottles of Nolotil I was shocked,” Sylvia Caldwell, 71, told the Olive Press this week.
“I know it does not affect everyone but there is always a chance which was worrying.”
Caldwell had been administered Nolotil via a drip while recovering from a gallbladder operation at Malaga’s CHIP private hospital.
This was despite hospitals and clinics around Spain outlawing or warning patients about the drug, including Marbella’s Costa del Sol hospital.
The Olive Press helped raise awareness of the drug after we launched our Kill The Drug campaign in 2017.
Nolotil has been found to cause sepsis and a rapid drop in white blood cells leading to the deaths of several british holidaymakers.
Fortunately, in this case Keith suffered no ill effects, but Sylvia has said the ‘scary’ incident left her deeply concerned for other expats.
Medical translator Cristina Garcia del Campo, who has consistently campaigned against the drug for years, told the Olive Press: “Unfortunately, this is happening quite a lot, people never know when they are going to be given Nolotil.
“I believe people will only be safe once it has been fully banned.”
In November Spain’s medical agency AEMES issued a directive to all healthcare bodies to stop giving the drug to British and Irish visitors, unless carefully monitored.
It came after Garcia del Campo presented hundreds of cases in Madrid, many of whom had been uncovered by the Olive Press. The hospital failed to comment.
- Political leaders set for TV debate ahead of Spain’s election - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:57
- WATCH: Spanish Legion on the march as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil near Ronda - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:59
- IN PICS: Clouds clear as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil de las Bodegas - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:41
- PICTURED: Female squaddie accused of ‘glassing’ army pal in the throat at Magaluf club - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 13:13
- Rival footie fans launch ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity race to Spain in aid of teenage cancer battle - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:25
- Expat sprayed with ‘devil’s breath’ date rape drug on Spanish island and forced to empty bank account - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 11:11
- Easter travel chaos in Spain avoided after pilot strike called off - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Spain pledges support for Paris in wake of Notre Dame inferno - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 11:57
- FLIGHT CHAOS: Travel strikes across Spain mean HUNDREDS of flights cancelled over Easter - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- International experts unlock secrets of ancient ‘Stonehenge’ in southern Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 15:42