BRITISH patients are still being handed the banned painkiller Nolotil despite a directive issued to health bodies last year following countless deaths.
The Olive Press can reveal that a hospital on the Costa del Sol handed expat pensioner Keith Caldwell, 78, the danger drug following an operation this month.
Fortunately his wife realised soon after doctor’s administered the drug, which has been banned in the UK, US and most of Europe.
“When we realised he had already had two bottles of Nolotil I was shocked,” Sylvia Caldwell, 71, told the Olive Press this week.
“I know it does not affect everyone but there is always a chance which was worrying.”
Caldwell had been administered Nolotil via a drip while recovering from a gallbladder operation at Malaga’s CHIP private hospital.
This was despite hospitals and clinics around Spain outlawing or warning patients about the drug, including Marbella’s Costa del Sol hospital.
The Olive Press helped raise awareness of the drug after we launched our Kill The Drug campaign in 2017.
Nolotil has been found to cause sepsis and a rapid drop in white blood cells leading to the deaths of several british holidaymakers.
Fortunately, in this case Keith suffered no ill effects, but Sylvia has said the ‘scary’ incident left her deeply concerned for other expats.
Medical translator Cristina Garcia del Campo, who has consistently campaigned against the drug for years, told the Olive Press: “Unfortunately, this is happening quite a lot, people never know when they are going to be given Nolotil.
“I believe people will only be safe once it has been fully banned.”
In November Spain’s medical agency AEMES issued a directive to all healthcare bodies to stop giving the drug to British and Irish visitors, unless carefully monitored.
It came after Garcia del Campo presented hundreds of cases in Madrid, many of whom had been uncovered by the Olive Press. The hospital failed to comment.
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05