VENEZUELA’S former spy chief has been detained in Spain on drug charges after extradition request by US Justice Department.
Retired general Hugo Carvajal appeared at the Spanish High Court in Madrid after his arrest on a US warrant for drug trafficking charges.
Carvajal stood down as the head of Venezuela’s feared military intelligence in 2012 and has declared his backing for opposition leader, Juan Guaido.
The US are seeking to extradite Carvajal after he allegedly coordinated the transportation of 5,600 kg of cocaine bound for the US.
Carvajal has denied the accusations and plans to fight the US extradition request on the grounds his family currently reside in Spain.
The one time ally of Hugo Chavez was previously sanctioned by the US government in 2008 for ‘materially assisting the narcotics trafficking activities’ of Colombia’s FARC rebel group.
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05