AN alleged jihadist has been arrested for allegedly planning a ‘massacre’ at a Semana Santa parade in Andalucia.
The unnamed Moroccan was cuffed by an anti-terrorist operation in Morocco after reportedly plotting to carry out an attack in the Andalucian capital.
Policia Nacional, who ran the joint operation with police in Morocco, are raiding his home as the investigation develops.
It comes after Spain’s interior ministry agreed to ramp up security efforts last week.
More resources were given to anti-terrorism cops while extra numbers have been called in to monitor the Easter parades.
Each major city in the country is receiving additional and catered security measures.
These mainly include extra numbers at transport hubs, religious monuments and at events with a large amounts of people.
Sevilla’s Semana Santa is one of the most attended religious events in the world with well over one million joining the parades.
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52