SPAIN is cracking down on drivers who use their mobile phones while driving during Holy Week.
Starting today, eight drones have taken to the sky which are capable of photographing offenders caught checking their device while at the wheel.
The high-tech strategy is part of a crackdown on dangerous driving habits during a period which will see 9.1 million car journeys across the country.
Until April 22, there will be 400 extra traffico police on the roads with an additional 216 cameras and 264 camouflaged police vehicles.
Some 10 helicopters will also join in the crackdown.
The unmanned aircraft can fly up to 120 metres into the air and can hone in on drivers up to 2km away.
They are able to report and record all types of infractions, including the use of mobile phones.
There will be a team of 30 pilots and 11 camera operators looking out for offenders in real time from the DGT headquarters.
Common infractions like using a mobile or not wearing a seatbelt are punishable with by a €200 fine and a loss of three points on your licence.
It comes after 31 people died and another 159 were seriously injured during Holy Week last year.
In 2017, distraction was the leading cause of fatal accidents on the road by 33%, ahead of speeding (29%) and alcohol (26%).
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59