A BRITISH surfer who died off the coast of Gibraltar has been revealed as a lawyer to the rich and famous.
Arthur Timothy Lawson-Cruttenden, 64, from London, was body surfing off East Side before police officers pulled him out of the sea near Catalan Bay on Wednesday.
Despite attempts by medics to save his life, the father, ex-triathlete and Cambridge graduate died yesterday morning in St Bernard’s Hospital.
Lawson-Cruttenden was visiting his daughter who lives and works on the Rock.
During a 40-year legal career, specialising in harassment, he represented everyone from comedian and children’s author David Walliams and his ex-wife, supermodel Lara Stone, to Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon.
He also appeared on BBC show Inside Out as a legal expert, and represented other bands including The Blockheads and The Clash.
In Gibraltar, he was a well-known member of the Friends of Gibraltar Society, as well as previously joining the Blues and Royals regiment of the British Army.
“We were deeply saddened to hear the tragic news about our friend and colleague,” said Sir Adrian Johns, chairman of the Friends of Gibraltar Society.
He added: “He had strong family links on the Rock and was a moving force as a trustee and director of the Friends of Gibraltar.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Lorna, Imogen, and Venetia at this difficult time.”
The RGP also offered its condolences and confirmed that a coroner’s inquest is underway.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35