FACEBOOK has secretly banned three far-right groups that had been spreading hateful propaganda across Spain only days ahead of the country’s general election.
The bogus profiles had reached more than 1.5 million followers and generate almost 7.4 million interactions in only three months, before being removed.
The far-right activity was not picked up by the social media giant but was instead uncovered by an online activist network called Avaaz.
“Facebook did a great job in acting fast, but these networks are likely just the tip of the disinformation iceberg — and if Facebook doesn’t scale up, such operations could sink democracy across the continent,” said Christoph Schott, campaign director at Avaaz.
The material shared included fake claims that ‘foreigners’ committed the majority of rapes in Spain.
Other posts featured the head of Podemos leader Pablo Iglesias superimposed onto the body of Hitler.
“This is how hate goes viral. A bunch of extremists use fake and duplicate accounts to create entire networks to fake public support for their divisive agenda,” said Schott
“It’s how voters were misled in the US, and it happened again in Spain.”
- AND THEY’RE OFF: Expats across Spain head to the polls - 26 May, 2019 @ 15:34
- OPINION: The shock verdict that sees Westley Capper and Craig Porter ‘walk free’ is an insult to Agnese Klavina’s family - 25 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- ISIS video threatens tourists in Spain after death of British ‘punk rock jihadi’ - 24 May, 2019 @ 14:45
- ‘I HAVE DONE MY BEST’: Tearful Theresa May resigns as UK Prime Minister - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:57
- British woman dies on UK-bound flight at Mallorca airport moments before take-off - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:29
- Judge allows convicted British criminal to go on Spain holiday after taser and cocaine bust - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:56
- Mystery buzzing leads couple in southern Spain to 80,000 bees in their bedroom wall - 21 May, 2019 @ 10:58
- British toddler badly hurt in cliff fall after ‘slipping from mother’s arms’ at Mallorca beach - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:38
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11