A UNION has slammed the UK Government over a potentially lucrative shipbuilding deal for Spain, despite the country’s pressure on Gibraltar.
Four foreign firms, and one British group, are in the running for the €1.15 billion Royal Navy contract, including Spanish shipbuilders Navantia.
Ross Murdoch of the Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions pointed to the wargames Spain has been attempting to engage the British in off Gibraltar.
“Our members are saying to us, ‘With all this going on in Gibraltar, are we seriously going to award the contract (to a Spanish firm)?’,” he told MPs at the Commons Defence Committee.
The Fleet Solid Support ships in question will support the Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier and fellow vessel, Prince of Wales.
The British consortium on the shortlist for the contract includes Babcock, BAE Systems, Cammell Laird and Rolls-Royce.
It comes after a series of inflammatory incidents involving Spanish warships encroaching on Gibraltar’s territorial waters.
The latest in this series of territorial disputes came last month, as a Spanish vessel faced off with a tiny Royal Navy boat a mile and a half off Gibraltar’s shore.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33