TWO British citizens have been arrested during anti-drug trafficking raids on the Costa del Sol.
The unnamed pair were picked up during the search of three properties in San Pedro de Alcantara and Mijas.
The raids, which saw large amounts of cash and documents seized, were part of a probe into an international criminal gang suspected of transporting large amounts of hashish from Morocco to the UK via the Costa del Sol and Strait of Gibraltar.
The investigation began at the end of October last year when Guardia Civil became aware of British gangs sending large amounts of the drug back to the UK.
Further probes discovered bales of hashish were being hidden in homes and properties with high security measures to avoid police detection.
When the traffickers believed the coast was clear, they would move the drugs to the small town of Trujillanos in Palencia, near Caceres.
There, the drug traffickers would use their fruit export companies as a front to move the drugs across Spain and into northern Europe.
Guardia Civil cops intercepted at least one truck when it reached Salamanca, seizing 1,335 kg of hashish hidden among boxes of oranges.
Spanish cops called in the UK’s National Crime Agency as well as French Judicial Police in a bid to identify and track down the suspects involved in the gang.
The crack team ordered three raids in homes in San Pedro de Alcantara and Mijas, leading to the arrest of two Brits, while a French citizen was cuffed when he later returned from France.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27