TWO British citizens have been arrested during anti-drug trafficking raids on the Costa del Sol.
The unnamed pair were picked up during the search of three properties in San Pedro de Alcantara and Mijas.
The raids, which saw large amounts of cash and documents seized, were part of a probe into an international criminal gang suspected of transporting large amounts of hashish from Morocco to the UK via the Costa del Sol and Strait of Gibraltar.
The investigation began at the end of October last year when Guardia Civil became aware of British gangs sending large amounts of the drug back to the UK.
Further probes discovered bales of hashish were being hidden in homes and properties with high security measures to avoid police detection.
When the traffickers believed the coast was clear, they would move the drugs to the small town of Trujillanos in Palencia, near Caceres.
There, the drug traffickers would use their fruit export companies as a front to move the drugs across Spain and into northern Europe.
Guardia Civil cops intercepted at least one truck when it reached Salamanca, seizing 1,335 kg of hashish hidden among boxes of oranges.
Spanish cops called in the UK’s National Crime Agency as well as French Judicial Police in a bid to identify and track down the suspects involved in the gang.
The crack team ordered three raids in homes in San Pedro de Alcantara and Mijas, leading to the arrest of two Brits, while a French citizen was cuffed when he later returned from France.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35