A CRUISE ship captain has been forced to apologise after putting up an ‘offensive’ sign which welcomed his passengers to ‘Gibraltor’ – printed on a SPANISH flag.
The sign outraged locals so much that Chief Minister Fabian Picardo ordered a port official to board the Koningsdam boat and order it be taken down.
Picardo also demanded that the captain of ship, from the US-based Holland America company, write a formal letter of apology.
The captain wrote a letter within the hour, saying he was sorry he used the wrong flag.
He said that he ‘fully respects the history of Gibraltar as a British territory’ and understands that ‘using the wrong flag can affect Gibraltarians’.
The captain added that his team would revise their on-board procedures to ensure these type of errors don’t happen in the future.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35