A GUARDIA Civil officer is among 57 people arrested to have been arrested in a huge anti-drug trafficking operation.
Around 200 police were involved in the bust in southern Spain, which also saw several tonnes of hash recovered.
So-called ‘Operation Balbi’, saw mostly Spaniards detained, but also Moroccans and Europeans.
Police found that boats with hollowed-out hulls had been transporting hash from Morocco, where it was then distributed in the modified chassis of trucks throughout Andalucia.
Also seized were a number of weapons, including a submachine gun, as well as cash, and previously stolen boats and cars.
Across Malaga, Granada and Cadiz, 25 buildings were searched.
The leader of the drug network was caught in Manilva, while suspects in Estepona and Marbella were also detained.
The cuffed copper was from Benemerita, while in Granada police made arrests in Fuentevaqueros, Pinos Puente, Lachar and Gojar.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35