A NEW haven for cancer patients – the first of its kind to be built in mainland Europe – has opened in the stunning grounds of Barcelona’s Sant Pau Hospital, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Spain.
The Kalida Sant Pau Centre is part of the Maggie Centres network, a Scottish charity that creates uplifting spaces to help anyone affected by cancer.
Adorned with honeycomb-shaped ceramic tiles, the centres’ red-brick facade complement the decorative, art nouveau hospital.
“The whole project has been inspired by the richness of materials, textures, colours, geometries, drawings and greenery of the original hospital complex,”explained lead architect Benedetta Tagliabue.
A garden lined with patios, trees and pergolas offers patients an escape from a medical environment while maintaining direct access to the hospital’s oncology department.
Alongside counselling rooms and communal spaces the centre contains a kitchen area, small library and dining area.
Tagliabue said: “The building scale, the design of the facades and the garden establish a respectful dialogue with this outstanding environment.”
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40