RELATIVES of a South African rock climber who fell to his death in Mallorca have faced an agonising wait to hear if Spanish police recovered his body.
Palma resident Jonathan Jardim, had been abseiling at Sa Foradada, in the Serra de Tramuntana , with a friend when he lost his footing and fell 60 feet onto rocks.
The 22-year-old’s family have blasted Spanish authorities for keeping relatives in the dark, after waiting 24 hours to hear news of the recovery.
“We don’t know if they have been able to return with Jonathan’s body.
“We are told nothing, and have to rely on news reports from half-way around the world,” a relative in Cape Town told the Olive Press.
An Olive Press probe has since confirmed the body was recovered using a helicopter and has been transported to a medical examiner in Palma.
Several teams of firefighters joined Local Police from Valldemossa and Deia in the recovery operation, which took place near the famous hole of Sa Foradada.
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05