A GIRL aged three was among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted by boat when Guardia Civil arrested an Alicante-based trafficking gang this week.
Among the illegal immigrants, brought from Algeria to Almeria on ‘premium’ boats, was also a heavily pregnant woman.
Seven members of the criminal group, all from Algeria, were arrested for crimes against foreign citizens and for organised criminal activity.
At least three members were based out of Alicante.
These helped illegal immigrants gain residency rights, or travel to other EU countries, according to Guardia Civil sources.
Other members drove the ‘premium’ boats from Oran, in Algeria, at nightfall for ‘large sums’ of money.
The journeys took place with ‘minimal safety’ precautions and at ‘great risk of capsizing’.
Guardia Civil sources added the boats were of the type used in drug running operations.
Their drivers reportedly drove extremely ‘dangerously’ to evade police capture, which increased the risk to top-dollar paying passengers.
It comes after Spain has been named the most popular route to Europe after crackdowns in Italy.
An estimated 57,000 arrived in Spain via the Western Mediterranean route – double the previous year.
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51