PEOPLE with disabilities, including older people, in Spain have been trapped at home due to lack of support, according to a shocking charity study.
Researchers for the Spanish Confederation of People with Physical and Organic Disability (COCEMFE) examined the living situation of 2.5 million people with physical disabilities.
They found that more than 1.8 million of those surveyed needed help to be able to leave their home, with those without support condemned to stay inside.
“We found people who are imprisoned in their own home due to the lack of accessibility in their own building,” said Laura López, director of Fundación Mutua de Propietarios, a group that collaborated with COCEMFE on the report.
Spain passed a law in 2013 which made homeowner associations responsible for ensuring their buildings are accessible to all.
Despite this a UNESCO report later found only 0.6 percent of Spain’s 9.8 million residential buildings meet accessibility standards for those with physical disabilities.
A UN committee for the rights of people with disabilities has also levelled criticism against Spain.
The committee, made up of 18 independent experts from around the world, said: “Measures taken to ensure universal accessibility, particularly for private buildings, have been insufficient or ineffective.”
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00
- OPINION: Vulnerable people being robbed in hospital beds on the Costa del Sol is an absolute disgrace - 6 Jul, 2019 @ 12:30
- Iran accuses UK of ‘piracy’ over oil tanker seized in Gibraltar and summons ambassador to Tehran - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 10:28