AN Irish expat is calling in police after she was robbed while staying at a hospital on the Costa del Sol.
Paula Brody, 75, from Dublin, woke up from a serious leg operation to find her smart phone and charger were stolen from her bedside table at the Hospital Costa del Sol.
The former admissions boss at Dublin’s Institute of Education told the Olive Press how her ‘whole ward’ was robbed during the night.
“I was devastated to wake up alone in my bed in pain and unable to move and also unable to contact any of my family or friends,” she revealed.
Brody, who lives in Manilva, had been rushed into hospital after suffering a horrific fall last week.
The pensioner suffered a broken tibia and fibula as well as a deep gash in her leg, when she fell down a friend’s stairs.
She had to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance and was quickly sedated and rushed in to surgery.
She believes the thefts, which included other phones and jewelry, were carried out by two teenage boys, around 15, who were seen by the patient in the bed next to her.
The woman told her the two lads had fled when questioned what they were up to.
“Who knows if it was them,” added Paula, who moved to Spain two months ago.
“Whatever happens, do not leave anything on show because the security is seriously lacking there. It seems anyone can simply enter and wander around.”
Apart from the loss of her Samsung phone, she insisted that the medical care and nursing was ‘excellent’.
“The care was fantastic but the poor nurses were very overworked and so cannot look out for your belongings,” she added.
When the Olive Press asked security how many people were robbed in the alleged night, we were met with a shrug.
The hospital meanwhile, has refused to give Paula a formal letter confirming the phone has been stolen, making it difficult to report the issue to police and her insurers.
“But I am going to make sure this case does not go undealt with. The police will find out all about it,” she added.
Hospital bosses refused to comment on the case.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19