BRITS could soon be forced to go without big buffet meals at Spanish resorts as Benidorm has become the first destination to address food waste.
Hotel association HOSBEC has recognised it could prove an unpopular move among holidaymakers – who are used to a massive range of choices at breakfast, lunch and evening meals.
But the group insists something has to be done to tackle the ‘over-abundance’ of food.
Plans range from fewer choices at buffet counters, to bringing in pre-packed starters or desserts.
Signs will also be put up asking hotel clients to ‘think twice’ before they pile so much food on their plates – and those who participate may even get ‘rewards’ from hotels.
“We understand that the challenge is complex, especially in the holiday hotel sector where the gastronomic offer is based on the free buffet,” HOSBEC said in a statement.
“However, this translates into a tendency to offer a great variety of dishes which in many occasions leads to an over-abundance of food.”?
The driving force, the organisation insists, is the sheer waste of food in a tourist trade that is becoming more committed to sustainability and care of the environment.?
The group estimates that in Spain, each restaurant throws away more than a tonne of food each year as a result of over-packed buffets.
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45