ORIHUELA City Council has obtained the approval to start a rehabilitation project at the historic Rubalcava Palace.
Local mayor, Emilio Bascuñana, announced yesterday, September 25, that Spain’s Council of Culture has given the green light to prepare tenders for the essential work.
Back in 2011, 750,000 euros was earmarked for restoration, but work never started and the project was abandoned in 2013.
Bascuñana explained, “We have taken an important step to continue with this project [and] we hope to conclude the works as soon as possible.”
He continued, “The rehabilitation of this property is so important, it needs urgent action.”
He hinted that other projects are also in the pipeline, “Progress is also being made in important projects to recover a great part of Orihuela heritage such as the buildings of Los Antiguos Courts, Caja de Monserrate, the Men’s Room of the San Juan de God, and the House of Miners.”
Built in 1930, the palace is located on the original site of the Abbey House of the Church of Santiago, sitting in mature gardens with wrought iron fencing and bougainvillea plants.
The Marquises of Rubalcava owned this house before the city council acquired it in 1981.
It served as the local Tourism Office and small archaeological museum, also being used for large receptions and gatherings.
Forming part of a long-term masterplan to bring Orihuela’s historic quarter back to life, the palace is classified as being of protected status.
A recent online review of the building reads, “it’s like a haunted house at the fair .. all the facades are deplorable and can fall at any time.”
Another read, “Spectacular palace … but in very bad conditions.”