- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Keep nukes off the Rock
• NOT WANTED: USS Providence
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A ROW has broken out over the docking of nuclear subs in Gibraltar.
The American vessels – which have been involved in the Libya campaign – have been slammed by the PSOE representative for Cadiz province, insisting they should use the US base in Rota.
“My opinion is the vessels should go to Rota because it is a joint Spanish – US base,” said Jose Carracao. “It has the necessary security conditions to house nuclear propelled vessels.
“The quays of Gibraltar do not comply with the minimum requirements of security.”
It was a clear reference to the docking of the USS Florida at the weekend and the USS Providence last month.
The docking of the Providence led to an incident, when a Guardia Civil boat got too close.
The Royal Navy was forced to issue a radio warning and block the passage of the craft, which appeared to be filming the sub.
The Providence spent a weekend in Gibraltar after being involved in military action against Libya.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]