- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Looking for Lorca in Spain
• Poet and playwright Federico Garcia Lorca
A NEW search for the Civil War grave of Granada’s best-loved poet Federico Garcia Lorca is set to get underway.
The exact location of his burial in an unmarked grave has been the subject of controversy ever since the poet and playwright was executed during the first months of the Spanish Civil War.
But now a local historian believes he has identified the true last resting place of Lorca and he has been given permission by Alfacar Town Hall to launch a private search of the area.
Miguel Caballero, author of ‘The Last 13 Hours of Garcia Lorca’, identified the spot from his own research and from oral testimony gathered by Granada journalist Eduardo Molina Fajardo for his book ‘The Last Days of Garcia Lorca’.
It comes just two years after a nearby site was unsuccessfully excavated in the search for Lorca’s grave following a long campaign complicated by the refusal of Lorca’s own family to condone the search.
This latest site, in the Penon Colorado area of Alfacar, close to the GR-3101 local road used during the Civil War as a training ground for the Falange troops, is less than half a kilometre away from the original site.
Caballero is funding the investigation himself, and if any evidence of a grave is found, it will then be up to the descendants of the three men executed alongside Lorca in August 1936 and who are believed to have been buried with him, to request permission for an excavation.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…