- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Food parcel plea to help Spaniards
October 19, 2012
• LAST EDITED:
October 31, 2012
National News • 3 Comments
• The Red Cross hopes to help Spain's extremely vulnerable
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
THE Spanish Red Cross has made an unprecedented appeal for donations as it attempts to feed poverty-stricken Spaniards.
The aid organisation is hoping to raise €30 million to pay for food parcels, which will be handed out to 2.3 million people considered ‘extremely vulnerable’ over the next two years.
The annual appeal is the first time the group has requested money to help fellow Spaniards, with funds usually being directed towards famine or disaster-stricken countries.
The number of Spaniards in need has increased from 1.5 million in 2010 to two million in 2011, with children living below the poverty line, pensioners and the homeless among those most at risk.
Red Cross director Jose Javier Sanchez Espinosa, said: “We have observed that there has been a serious deterioration in the social situation in Spain. Because of that, for the first time, we ask for support in helping the population.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]